top of page

Schoolhouse #2

  • Jun 6
  • 1 min read

At the end of E Street in Jacksonville lies Bigham Knoll, the original 7-acre campus that was once home to Jackson County School District #1

In 1867, when the County’s first public school was deemed inadequate, the school district directors acquired this property and converted an existing two room house into a school building until local builders could erect a new 2-story frame and “weather boarded” schoolhouse.  Students paid $5 per quarter in tuition until 1875, when the school levy was increased enough to do away with the tuition tax. 

A year later, the increased school enrollment necessitated enlargement of the building and an addition was completed “sufficiently large to accommodate all the pupils of the district.”  This building served 3 generations of students for 36 years until it was destroyed by fire on January 25, 1903.

Comments


Contact

👍 Thanks for getting in touch!

Design by: Alicia Nagel Creative  © 2026 by Jacksonville History Center. This site uses cookies - details.

GET IN TOUCH

Please send us a message!

If you'd like to get involved, volunteer, or have questions, please get in touch!

bottom of page